Barbara Lasserre brings the neglected world of onomatopoeia to life in this witty little gem of a book which will delight language lovers.
If it goes 'moo' then every child knows it's a cow. If it goes 'Wham! Bam! Crash!' we're in a fast-paced comic. But what goes 'krknout'?
Barbara Lasserre takes us on a playful journey through the delightful world of words that mimic sounds. Normally relegated to children's books, cartoons and comedians, she shows how these often ancient words reveal unexpected things about the way we think, speak and act.
A book for anyone who loves playing with words.
'When it comes to the crunch, Words That Go Ping is bound to reverberate. Zipping between Norwegian kisses and Japanese silence, my brain is still humming.' - David Astle, writer, crossword maker and general word nerd
'An immensely satisfying book covering a neglected aspect of language with impeccable skill, and written in an open, flowing and humorous style.' - Susan Butler AO, inaugural editor of the Macquarie Dictionary
'Barbara Lasserre has conjured up a magical world of word mimicry. Her wondrous little book will delight all who love language.' - Richard Walsh, author and publisher
Barbara's passion for language led to her working for many years teaching and lecturing in English and Applied Linguistics. She lived for 10 years in France, and worked and studied at the University of Poitiers. In Australia, she taught Academic and Language skills at the University New South Wales, and at the University of Technology, Sydney she was a lecturer in Language and Academic Learning. She lectured in Applied Linguistics at the University of Port Harcourt in Nigeria, and has also lived in Syria and studied Arabic.
Table Of Contents:
1. Aargh, miaeow, ker-ching: Means like it sounds
2. Eek, a mouse: Be afraid
3. Whoopee: The making of feel-good words
4. Gahshunk: In Japanese they triple the fun
5. Yum, throb, sob: Bodily reverberations
6. Cucurrucucu: Sounds natural
7. Jabber natter: Poetry, music and metaphor
8. Rattle jangle ding dong: The mechanics of life, bells and whistles
9. Woops, yikes, hmmm: Interjections, ejaculations, fillers
10. Huh?: Lost in translation
11. Slam dunk and the Big Bbang: The United States, Lifelife, the Universe universe & and Everythingeverything
Allen & Unwin
Allen & Unwin