The essential handbook for anyone training to work in commercial, public or community radio, now thoroughly updated to reflect the digitalisation of the industry.
Making radio programs gets into your blood: it's one of the most stimulating jobs in the world, in a fast-moving industry, at the cutting edge of new technology.
Making Radio is a practical guide for anyone who wants to learn how to make good radio. It examines the key roles in radio: announcing, presenting, research, copywriting, producing, marketing and promotions. It also outlines what is involved in creating different types of radio programs: news and current affairs, talkback, comedy and features. Legal and regulatory constraints are explained, as are the commercial imperatives of the radio industry.
The second edition of this widely used industry reference and student text has been fully updated to reflect the impact of digital technology on the radio world, including podcasting, multimedia devices and internet radio.
With contributions from industry experts, Making Radio should be at the side of every radio professional.
Steve Ahern is Head of Radio at the Australian Film Television and Radio School.
Table Of Contents:
1. A History of Radio in Australia (Phil Charley, Wayne Mac and Steve Ahern)
2. Industry Perspectives (Steve Ahern)
3. The Studio (Steve Ahern and Rod Pascoe)
4. Broadcast Laws and Regulations (Steve Ahern and Joanna White)
5. Radio Announcing (Steve Ahern and Georgia Brown)
6. Presentation (Steve Ahern)
7. Interviewing (Jen Oldershaw and Lucienne Joy)
8. Researching and Producing (Steve Ahern)
9. Copywriting (Kevin Best)
10. Audio Production (Phil McNab and Kevin Best)
11. News (Russell Powell)
12. Talkback (Steve Ahern and Kevin Brumpton)
13. Torque Radio: The Radio Feature (Tony Barrell)
14. Radio Comedy (Ian Heydon)
15. Programming (Graham Smith and Steve Ahern)
16. Sales Marketing and Promotions (David Rogerson)
17. The Magic Mix: Radio in the Digital Age (Malcolm Long)
18. The Transmission Chain (Gordon Smith)
Allen & Unwin
Allen & Unwin
Paperback - C format